- I collected Strawberry Shortcake dolls and Garbage Pail Kids.
- I watched working moms try to "have it all" on sitcoms like The Cosby Show, Family Ties and Growing Pains (shows I think must have had a subconscious influence on me).
- My favorite cartoons included He-Man, Muppet Babies, Voltron, Alvin and the Chipmunks, and many more. I loved TV growing up.
- I had a poster of Michael J. Fox up on my closet door; I loved him, Alex P. Keaton, and Back to the Future!
- Book Fair Week was my favorite time of year; I devoured books like The Baby-Sitters Club (Ann M. Martin), the Sweet Valley High series, and anything from Judy Blume.
- I watched sappy love stories over and over on VHS, from Pretty in Pink to Girls Just Want to Have Fun, and I'll always have a soft spot for Andrew McCarthy.
|With my sisters in the mid-80s.|
And best of all was the music. I was known as "the 80s Queen" in high school, because I would blast 80s music while working on the school newspaper.
This past weekend, I had the opportunity to see Belinda Carlisle in concert at Center Stage. In case you don't know her, she was the lead singer of The Go-Gos, one of the most successful all-female groups of all-time, and she went solo with hits like "Heaven in a Place on Earth" and "I Get Weak."
My friend, Elizabeth, and I had a wonderful girls night out on Saturday, going to dinner at Steel Restaurant and Lounge, then hitting the concert. Our tickets were AWESOME, and it was so much fun to sing along to the songs that I remember so well from my childhood.
Of course, I had to dress up in my version of today's 80s fashion: blue eye shadow, big earrings, hot pink lipstick, neon colors, the works!
Dress: French Connection
Sandals: SJP Sarah Jessica Parker
Jelly Bracelets: Authentic 80s (I collected those, as well as pins on my jean jacket!)